Monday, April 25, 2016

Day 60

The following was written by my little sister to help her remember her brother who left while she was so young. With her permission, I'm posting this here because it really touched me. 

Mitchell Parker is my big brother. He is tall, chubby and funny. He has a big nose, feet and heart. He loves to help people and will never give up on them. His hazel eyes stare into your soul and try to fix you. His luscious dark brown curls and cute Jew boo face taunt you. Mitch is a chill person who dramatizes everything and doesn’t always say the right thing, but he always tries. 

Mitchell died on Thursday, February 25, 2016. My confidence, happiness and grit all disappeared that day. The day my mother screamed until her throat throbbed. The day my sister Brittany laid wide-awake in complete shock and the day I found my bed and cried myself to sleep. One week passed and while I lived in denial my family members planned his funerals. One funeral was held on March 3 at a cemetery in Utah where my sister Brittany poured her heart out about her husband. 

The second funeral was held on March 5 in Washington where Brittany touched hundreds of lives Mitch had touched before her. I tried to be there for Brittany but March 4 had been the second anniversary of the day Mitch proposed to Britt. Honestly none of us could hold any of our crap together yet somehow Brittany did for both funerals. Her faith glowed through her several testimonies like a match lit in a dark room illuminating the lives of everyone she saw. Both cemetery visits were just family but two meetings were also held. Each meeting had hundreds of people that Mitch had touched and loved. 

He is still with us. Brittany, Maren and I have seen him in dreams and everyday life. I am determined to think that Mitch fixed our ice machine in the fridge magically after two years of problems. He served a mission in Brazil and learned to speak Portuguese. He would watch videos of how to fix and build things he didn’t even own. He has a very high tolerance for physical pain but is a sucker when it comes to romance. He is deeply in love with my sister and protects her every step of the way. He loves babies completely and wanted to have his own. Basically, Mitch is the best thing that has ever happened to my family.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!